Bicycle Master Plan
2014 Bicycle Master Plan Update
The plan can be viewed online at http://cuuats.org/ubmp/documents.
2008 Bicycle Master Plan
In January 2007 the City of Urbana contracted with the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission to create a Bicycle Master Plan for the City. This study originated from the Urbana City Council goal to “Get Urbana Bicycling.”
The Plan was guided by a steering committee of community stakeholders including representatives from the Urbana Park District, Urbana School District, University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District and City staff. The Plan also involved an extensive public involvement component.
Summary of Bicycle Master Plan
Goal 1: Increase bicycle mode share in Urbana for all trip purposes by 50% in the next five years.
Goal 2: Achieve a Bicycle Friendly Community award through the League of American Bicyclists.
Goal 3: Substantially expand the bicycle network.
- Create and maintain a bicycle network that is continuous, connected, and easily accessible for all users, and includes on-road and off-road facilities.
- Provide a bicycle network that is safe and attractive for all users.
- Provide supporting facilities to make bicycle transportation more convenient.
- Educate residents about alternative modes of transportation and bicycle facilities.
- Secure funding and implement bicycle improvements.
- 0-5 year, 6-10 year and 10+ year implementation timeframes
- Includes: Bike Lanes, Bike Routes, Share the Road, Shared Bike/Parking Lanes, Shared Use Paths, Side Paths
- Major north-south corridors include: Broadway Avenue, Kinch Street, Goodwin Avenue and Philo Road
- Major east-west corridors include: Main Street, Washington Street, Florida Avenue and Windsor Road
Before and after bike lane additions: Main Street east of Lynn Street, approaching Cottage Grove Avenue