Special Event Information
A Special Event is an activity that materially affects the ordinary allocation of City personnel or the ordinary use of City streets, sidewalks or parking lots and all outdoor activity. Special Events are as follows:
- Free Speech
- Commercial Property Event
The applicant shall comply with all applicable City ordinances, policies, codes, conditions, and requirements.
Noise. As a general rule, a Special Event Permit issued for an event held within the Downtown Entertainment District, shall allow for amplified music between 10:00 a.m. and midnight of that day. However, the hours may be more limited if special conditions or circumstances arise. Special Events held outside of the Downtown Entertainment District shall only allow amplified music with prior approval from the Chief of Police and Public Works Director.
Permit Fees. Application fee with street closures is $250.00. Application fee without street closures is $100.00. A Special Event Permit shall not be issued until copies of the additional approved permits have been attached to the Special Event Permit Application Form.
- If alcoholic beverages are to be sold or served, they may be sold, served and possessed only in accordance with state law and local ordinances. If liquor is to be sold, a liquor license issued by the City of Urbana Mayor’s Office shall be required.
- No food or beverages are to be sold or served at the event unless approved by the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District.
- Tents of more than 400 square feet require a separate permit from the Community Development Building Safety Department.
Various additional permits that may be required, and their fees, are as follows:
LIQUOR LICENSE T1 & T2 LIQUOR LICENSE
$154 first day and $52 each additional day
$56 - $87 per day
Event Fees (Cost for City Services). The fee for a Special Event Permit should be based upon the anticipated cost to the City to accommodate the proposed special event. The City shall determine whether City personnel are necessary to ensure the success of the event, and reduce the public liability exposure to the organizer and the City. The estimate of such costs, other than required police services, shall be determined by the Director of Public Works.
- Non-profit Organizations shall be afforded a credit of $750 for the anticipated costs as determined by the Director of Public Works.
- The Chief of Police shall determine whether the event requires extra police services’ fees.
Payment. Make all checks payable to the City of Urbana and please note your business name and event name. All fees are non-refundable.
At a minimum, the completed application for a Special Event Permit and application fee must be submitted to the Public Works Department at least forty-five (45) days in advance of the earliest date scheduled for the special event. This will allow sufficient time for processing of the application. Applications not submitted within this time frame may be subject to a late fee of up to $500. The Public Works Department may grant preliminary approval of an event at any time in advance of the event. However, any person who receives preliminary approval must still comply with all application requirements.
The City of Urbana requires event organizers to provide a complete listing of all vendors associated with the event. Additionally, contact information and product descriptions are required for each vendor.
Please indicate the security measures for the event on provided maps. In addition to other requirements, the Security Plan must identify a conspicuous location where the event organizer will post a human trafficking notice that complies with 775 ILCS 50/10. Security Plans shall meet requirements of the Chief of Police.
If applicable, provide the following information as well:
- Street Closures/Parking Information
- Garbage Cans/Recycling Containers
- Tents/Stages/Electrical Equipment/Speakers
- Food Vendor Booths/ Merchant Vendors
- Water Sources
- Emergency Vehicle Access
- The City of Urbana is not responsible for any accidents or damages to persons or property resulting from the issuance of a Special Event Permit.
- The Special Event Permit is non-transferable and can only be used on the designated dates and times as applied for by the organizer.
- The City of Urbana reserves the right to suspend, cancel, and/or reschedule events.
- The organizer is responsible for ensuring that all participants and spectators abide by all the above conditions.
The application shall be routed through the Public Works Department, Community Development Services Department, Mayor’s Office, Police Department, and Fire Department for approval to ensure that the application meets the requirements of each respective department. This review process may require additional time if questions and/or problems with the application arise. The organizer shall be contacted upon final approval.