Busey Bank to add 50 employees in downtown Urbana; $1.5 million remodel underway
Busey is investing $1.5 million to remodel its banking center in a project that will relocate more than 50 additional associates to downtown Urbana by mid-August.
The remodeling work will completely renovate the second and third floors of Busey at 201 W. Main St. Work began mid-March and will accommodate the growing needs of and provide centralized headquarters for Busey Wealth Management—including Busey Investment Services and Trust Operations. These teams are currently located at Busey’s corporate office at 100 W. University Avenue and a back office operations facility, both in Champaign.
"We are very excited about relocating our headquarters to Downtown Urbana," says Curt Anderson, President & CEO of Busey Wealth Management.
"The extensive remodeling of this beautiful building will allow Busey Wealth Management to accommodate our future growth initiatives while centralizing and maximizing our resources—building upon nearly a century of service excellence for our valued clients," Anderson said.
Busey will have about 100 employees in downtown Urbana when the remodeling and relocations are completed.
Urbana Mayor Laurel Prussing said Busey’s plans are good news for downtown Urbana.
“We’re delighted that Busey is investing in downtown Urbana ,” she said. “This is the eighth redevelopment project currently underway in our downtown, with improvements worth more than $7 million. Businesses are rediscovering that downtown Urbana is a great place to do business.”
Of the two Busey floors being remodeled, only one of the floors was in use prior to renovation. Busey also has made arrangements for leased parking for its Urbana associates.
For nearly a century, clients have entrusted Busey Wealth Management with nearly $5.4 billion in assets with offices in Champaign, Urbana, Bloomington-Normal, Decatur, Ft. Myers, Fla., and St. Louis, Mo. To learn more about the products, services and expertise of Busey Wealth Management, call 1-800-671-Busey and visit busey.com/aboutwealth.
Other downtown Urbana redevelopment projects:
- The mid-April merger of Strawberry Fields and World Harvest and accompanying renovation at 306 W. Springfield Ave.
- A $210,000 renovation to house 25 O‘Clock Brewery, a brew pub, at 208 W. Griggs St.
- The $1.2 million renovation of 401 N. Broadway Ave. into the Broadway Market.
- The planned $2.5 million renovation of the Cohen Building at the northeast corner of Race and Main streets into a restaurant and office space or apartments.
- The ongoing $1 million renovation of the Stephens Building, 218 W. Main St., into four upstairs apartments and office or retail space on the ground floor.
- A $355,000 renovation of 129 N. Race St. now underway.
- An $893,000 renovation of Schnuck’s.