Roadway Improvements Now Complete Along North Lincoln Avenue

City officials welcome economic development along the enhanced Lincoln Avenue Corridor Ribbon Cutting Collage

The City of Urbana recently opened North Lincoln Avenue to motorists after a nearly nine-month construction project. The newly completed road increases accessibility to bicyclists thanks to the inclusion of wide smoothly paved shoulders, provides connectivity between the I-74 and I-57 corridors, and serves businesses and residents in the area through linkage to Olympian Drive via a new overpass over the Illinois Central railroad.

The project exhibits years of collaboration and a cooperative relationship between Champaign County and the City of Urbana. These two entities entered into an Intergovernmental Agreement passed in April 2011 to set the project in motion. Preliminary design for the new North Lincoln Avenue began in November 2011 when the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) approved a funding agreement with the City of Urbana and Champaign County to hire Hanson Professional Services. The design processes concluded in July 2014 with approval by the IDOT.

After right-of-way acquisition, the project had a bid opening on November 4, 2016 and Stark Excavating was the low bidder at approximately $2.6 million. Construction began in January 2017 and the road is now open. The total project cost of $4.1 million includes engineering fees, right-of-way acquisition, utility relocations, and construction costs.

The project was 80% funded with federal Surface Transportation Program funds and the remaining 20% balance of monies was evenly divided between Champaign County and the City of Urbana. The City of Urbana will retain ownership of the road and assume responsibility for roadway maintenance.

North Lincoln Avenue currently includes tenants such as Supervalu, Open Road Paving, Mack’s Recycling, UPS, Cross Construction, Emulsicoat, Henson Recycling, and the award-winning Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery - a leader in agri-tourism and food and flower production. Within two miles of North Lincoln Avenue is the world-renowned University of Illinois, over a dozen hotels within a five-minute drive, and just 10 miles to Willard Airport. Not to mention immediate connectivity to two major highway corridors, I-74 and I-57.

Considering the improved roadways, enhanced connectivity, and vast amenities within the immediate area, North Lincoln Avenue is primed for development. The area is zoned for both heavy and light industry/research and development uses. It is included in the Enterprise Zone, which offers incentives for investment and job creation, including sales tax exemption on building materials and five-year property tax abatements. Larger projects may be eligible for longer tax abatements, Utility Tax Exemptions, and Investment Tax Credits through the State of Illinois. The City of Urbana is committed to sustainable growth, compact development, and collaboration with government and business partners to grow our economy in a responsible and responsive way.

For more information about economic development opportunities along North Lincoln Avenue or in the City of Urbana please contact Economic Development Manager Brandon Boys at bsboys@urbanaillinois.us.

For information about the City of Urbana visit www.urbanaillinois.us or connect on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

CLICK HERE to view a video from the November 6th North Lincoln Avenue Ribbon Cutting Ceremony.

Click on location marker to view address.
Contact Reference: 
Contributors: 
Created on: Thursday, November 9, 2017 - 13:45
- Author: NatalieK