In the City of Urbana, any items which must be ignited by a match are prohibited in the city limits. Fireworks are illegal in the State of Illinois without a permit. Last year fireworks injured 147 people in the state, according to a survey conducted by the State Fire Marshals office. Sparklers can reach temperatures of up to 1200 degrees. In addition fireworks started 577 fires in the state causing more than 4 million dollars worth of damage according to the National Fire Incident Reporting System. The State Fire Marshals Office and the National Fire Protection Association offer the following tips:
- Fireworks are illegal without a permit.
- Sparklers smoke devices, glowworm pellets, and other devices are legal but dangerous to children.
- Abide by all laws pertaining to fireworks.
- Always read and follow fireworks directions.
- Do not use fireworks near dry grass or near flammable or combustible materials.
- Fireworks are not toys. Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Never attempt to re-light or fix fireworks that have not gone off.
- Keep a safe distance from fireworks staging areas.
- Matches are tools not toys. Children should never play with matches and should never use them to light fireworks.
- For the best possible fireworks safety, leave these dangerous devices to professionals. Attend licensed public fireworks display