607 W. Pennsylvania Ave.

Project Overview

Architect: Unknown         Year Built: 1927       Architectural Style: Tudor Revival

 

Architectural Description

607 W. Pennsylvania is a typical Tudor Revival house that was built in 1927. The house is constructed of multi-colored brick and a stone foundation. The stone seems to grow out of the foundation and melds together in an irregular pattern with the brick, which is a contrast to the straight horizontal line usually formed between the foundation and the wall cladding. The main entrance is below a recessed arch which is accented with stone quoins. The main façade is dominated by a steeply-pitched cross gable roof with asymmetrical flared eaves. The wall surface of the main gable is projected slightly forward than the rest of the wall surface, which is topped with a hipped roof. There is a shift in the brick detailing at the apex of the main gable and on the top half of the second story on the main façade. There is a band, or string course, of dark brown vertically placed brick which divides the façade. 607 W. Pennsylvania has tall, thin, multi-paned casement windows grouped in horizontal rows. A dormer window is present on the west side of the house.
 
 

Historical Description

The history of this property can easily be traced back to 1927 when it went through a series of deed transfers, from George R. McComb to George Vriner to Henry Stein and finally to Bart Rice. A house was built on the lot around 1927, and Bart Rice leased it to a series of couples primarily in the Military Science and Tactics department at the University of Illinois. The house was divided into two apartments through 1945 when Bart Rice sold it to William and Dorothy Everitt.

William Everitt was a professor of electrical engineering and would later become Dean of the College of Engineering from 1949-1968 when he retired. Dr. Everitt was a leader nationwide in his field, being named one of the top two educators of electrical engineering of the century by the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Enginners in 1984 and receiving 10 honorary doctorates. After his death, the Electrical Engineering Laboratory was named for him in 1988. Since 1996, Thomas S. Huang has been the William L. Everitt Professor of Electrical Engineering. William Everitt's legacy will live on in the College of Engineering for years to come.

Shortly after Dorothy's death in 1977, William remarried and sold the house to Nicholas and Tatiana Rzhevsky, who resided there until 1983. Anthony Leggett and Haruko Kinase-Leggett have resided there since 1983. Dr. Leggett is a professor of physics at the University of Illinois and won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2003. 

Click on location marker to view address.
Created on: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 14:04
- Author - admin
- Contributors: KevinG