Gun Violence Crisis
Our community is facing a crisis in gun violence. Over the past few years, we’ve experienced an increase in shootings, injuries, and deaths. People are obtaining more powerful weapons and have used them to shoot indiscriminately into homes, cars, and public gatherings. There are many long-term solutions and short-terms steps that must be taken to disrupt the pattern of retaliatory shootings. One of the tools that is being successfully used in other cities to identify vehicles involved in shootings and other crimes is the Automatic License Plate Reader (ALPR).
The City of Urbana is proposing use of Automatic License Plate Readers (ALPRs) for the following reasons:
- ALPRs are an investigative tool that can help identify vehicles involved in shootings and other crimes.
- ALPRs provide information that witnesses and victims are unable, unwilling, or afraid to provide.
- ALPRs provide “real time” information through a snapshot of license plates and the rear of vehicles.
- ALPRs improve county-wide collaboration, across jurisdictions, to solve shootings and other crimes.
- ALPRs remove human error and bias from vehicle identification.
- ALPRs are cost-effective and can be strategically deployed.
- ALPR data is owned and protected by the City.
- ALPRs can help disrupt the pattern of retaliatory shootings that has traumatized families and neighborhoods in recent years.
For more information, please watch:
- ALPR Overview Presentation to Urbana City Council. Program begins at 2:50 minutes in the video.
- WCIA News Story 9/22: https://www.wcia.com/news/city-looks-at-adding-safety-tools-to-disrupt-v...