Rental, Mortgage, and Utility Assistance
Housing Assistance Program Objectives
Subsistence payments for one to three months emergency payments on behalf of individuals or families. A grant is made available to provide funding for direct rental, mortgage, and utility assistance to those who have lost their job, been furloughed, or had their hours reduced. Click on this form to start the process.
Eligible and Ineligible Households
Eligible households include:
• Households experiencing loss of income directly related to COVID-19
• Households in good standing with the rent, mortgage, and utilities as of March 2020
• Households who requested assistance from lender, landlord, and/or utility companies
• Households with incomes at or below 80% AMI
Ineligible households include:
• Households with a Tenant based voucher
• Households residing in Project Based Voucher projects
• Households residing in Public Housing
• Households receiving other government-based rental assistance
Priority is placed on households with the lowest median family income.
General Terms and Conditions
1) The applicant may apply for housing assistance through the CDBG-CV Housing Assistance Program if they have not received assistance from federal, state, or local resources to meet their need. However, so as not to receive a duplication of benefit (DOB), the applicant may receive assistance through the program if the amount received did not cover all their housing need.
2) The Housing Assistance Program may not exceed three months of assistance. If assistance is needed beyond this, applicant will be referred to other available programs.
3) The applicant shall not be required to pay for administrative and program delivery expenses related to processing of the application.
4) Grant funds will be paid directly to the lender, landlord, and/or the utility company(ies).
5) Before funding can be executed, the applicant must provide evidence from the landlord/mortgage lender that she/he/they were current on obligations as of March 2020.
6) A maximum of $750 per month will be provided for both utility and housing assistance for a maximum of three months.
7) The program will not reimburse individuals.
For a household to qualify for assistance through the CDBG-CV Housing Assistance Program, they must meet the following criteria:
1) Priorities shall be given to applicants on a first come/first served basis. If necessary, funding
may be prioritized to the lowest income individuals.
2) Be classified as a low- moderate income individual as determined by the Department of Housing
and Urban Development.
For an applicant to qualify for Housing Assistance, he/she must meet the following criteria:
1) The applicant must have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
2) The applicant must be the person or persons in whose name the utilities, lease, or title to the
property is vested.
3) The anticipated household annual (gross) income shall not exceed 80 percent of the median
family income for Champaign County as released by HUD. The temporary $600 weekly
unemployment benefit should not be included as part of anticipated income.
4) The HUD Part 5 definition of annual (gross) income shall be the method used in calculating
This section outlines procedures for preparing, processing, and approving an application for housing
1) GMD staff shall interview and advise the applicant of the design and objectives of the housing
assistance program, the availability and benefits of housing assistance, and the specific terms
and conditions under which assistance is provided.
2) GMD staff shall obtain the following information from and about the applicant and the subject
a) Verification of employment.
b) Self-certification of earnings and assets
c) Verification of lease.
d) Verification of mortgage or deed of trust from each holder of a lien secured by the property.
e) Verification of utilities.
f) If applicable, the applicant may be placed on a prioritization list created by the GMD based
on household income and need.
Housing Assistance Determination
After review of the application documentation and determination of need, the applicant will be notified
of the amount of assistance and start date. Go here now to start the application process.
Send your application to:
City of Urbana Community Development Services Grants Management Division
400 South Vine Street Urbana, IL 61801
Call us at: (217) 384-2447 or by FAX (217) 384-2367