MCORE to open the Green Street Corridor
Multimodal Corridor Enhancement Project, or MCORE, construction continues!
The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD), City of Champaign, City of Urbana, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are partnering to improve mobility in our communities core through a federal Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) grant. The $47.5M MCORE Project is unprecedented in our community’s history and will have a transformative impact.
WHEN: MCORE Project construction started in March 2017 and will continue into 2020 covering five separate project areas to improve key urban transportation corridors.
- PROJECT 1 Green Street (from Wright Street to Busey Avenue) 2017-2018
- PROJECT 2 Green Street (from Neil Street to Fourth Street) 2017-2018
- PROJECT 3 White Street (from Second Street to Wright Street) and Wright Street (from White Street to Springfield Avenue) 2018-2019
- PROJECT 4 Armory Avenue (from Fourth Street to Wright Street) and Wright Street (from Armory Avenue to Springfield Avenue) 2019-2020
- PROJECT 5 Green Street (from Busey Avenue to Race Street) 2019-2020
BENEFITS OF THE MCORE PROJECT:
- Enhances Mobility Choices - The goal of MCORE is to provide a balance between all modes of transportation. Transportation choices address pedestrian access routes, bicycle lanes, transit efficiency and vehicle flow; and reduce potential conflict areas.
- Improves Infrastructure - MCORE will improve the condition of the existing pavement and bring the streets of these core transit corridors into a state of good repair while redesigning them into complete streets to accommodate all users.
- Promotes Sustainability - MCORE will encourage sustainable development that is located and designed to be compact and contiguous to existing development and have limited environmental impact; provide streetscape improvements for an enriched built environment, sense of place, and quality of life; emphasize all modes of transportation while decreasing the use of single occupancy vehicles, thereby reducing congestion, traffic hazards, and carbon emissions.
- Improves Critical Linkages - The completion of the MCORE Project will provide better connections between the downtown centers of Champaign and Urbana, the university, the area’s major employers, health, and social service organizations.