From Executive Director The Urbana Free Library Celeste Choate
From Executive Director Celeste Choate
To help contain the spread of COVID-19 in our community, The Urbana Free Library (TUFL) is temporarily closed to the public through Monday, March 30. We plan to reopen and resume normal services on Tuesday, March 31. All programming, outreach, and meeting room bookings have been canceled through April 12. We will continue to monitor the fluid situation and will reassess as new information becomes available. Closing the library for an extended period to “flatten the curve,” is a difficult decision, but the health and safety of our community and staff are our first priority. We apologize for any inconvenience. According to the CDC, early actions to increase social distancing are the best way to contain COVID-19. According to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, the “overriding goal in our community will be to keep the healthcare system, and especially the hospitals, from becoming overwhelmed during local spread.”
Primary Election: The Urbana Free Library will serve as a polling place for the primary election this Tuesday, March 17, but no library services will be available. There will be a slight change regarding access to The Urbana Free Library. Please use the ramp on the Elm Street (north) side of the building to access The Lewis Auditorium for voting. There will be signage directing voters to the proper door to enter and exit for polling purposes. Hours for the polling place will remain unchanged. Voters can park on Elm Street (north side of the Library) for easy access or can park in the parking lot immediately south of the Library and walk around the building.
Using the Library:
- Due dates for all materials in the collection are extended to different dates in early May.
- Drop boxes for materials are closed, so please don’t return anything – just stay home and enjoy your materials longer!
- Your holds will be waiting for you on the hold shelves when we reopen. You are still able to place requests, and we will begin filling them when we reopen.
- We are committed to proving access to diverse resources and programs. Online services are available with your library card and PIN number.
- Download our app by searching Urbana Free in your app store or visit our Databases page.
- Using our eBooks & More page, you can download an eBook, graphic novel, or audiobooks, plus stream films, TV shows, and music for all ages.
- Request a Personalized Reading List, and we will send you one as soon as we can.
- Please stay tuned to urbanafreelibrary.org, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for updates.