COVID-19 Outdoor Seating, Live Music Permit Application & Expanded Amplified Music Hours
Urbana is Open for Business!
Please note that an Outdoor Seating Permit is only required for use of public space. No permit is required for outdoor seating on private property, unless a tent is used. Go here for tent permits.
NEW for the 2021 Outdoor Season:
Permits issued in 2020 are valid, unless a business is:
- Expanding outdoor seating
- Changing approved site plan
- Changing the public space being used
- Changing ownership
- Changing certificate of insurance in any way, such a change in insurance company, details of the policy, etc.
Allowance for Outdoor Dining and/or Drinking Spaces:
The City of Urbana Community Development Services has an COVID-19 Outdoor Seating Permit Application that needs to be completed by creating a CitizenServe Portal Account. Go here for the instructions on how to create that account.
Allowance for Live Music at Restaurants & Bars:
The City of Urbana Community Development Services has an COVID-19 Outdoor Seating Permit Application that needs to be completed by creating a CitizenServe Portal Account. Go here for the instructions on how to create that account. Be assured that the City of Urbana staff is committed to working with you to accommodate your individual needs and timing for your outdoor dining opening.
In advance of sending the permit application, the following is a list of the information that will be requested with your permit application, including a narrative, site plan and Certificate of Insurance (CIO):
Narrative - you will be asked to provide a brief description of your plans for:
- Storage and removal of exterior trash and litter
- Restrooms for patrons including ADA compliance
- Hand sanitation for patrons
- Accommodating waiting patrons
- Contact tracing
Site Plan - you will be asked to provide the following detail on your plan:
- Proposed outdoor seating area, labeled with the location, size and number of tables and chairs, or any items to be part of the outdoor seating.
- Location and number of feet of unobstructed space permitting free passage of pedestrian traffic around and through the outdoor seating area.
- Labels indicating vehicular access; entrances, exits, and vehicular flow, along with handicap accessible parking, curbside pick-up area, and delivery vehicle locations. Depending on your location you may also need to provide parking for patrons.
- Location of trees, fire hydrants, utility poles, street light poles, parking meters, bus shelters, trash receptacles and any other obstructions or other permanent street fixtures, either existing or proposed, within the outdoor seating area.
- Location of doors leading from the establishment or abutting buildings.
- Barricade type and placement, if applicable.
- Location of tent, if applicable
- Signage placement and business resources – Champaign County Safe
Certificate of Insurance (COI) - You will be asked to provide proof of liability insurance coverage:
- Clearly indicate the public space being used
- Indicate the City of Urbana as a Certificate Holder
- Include within COI: "Certificate holder is named as additional insured on a primary/non-contributory basis with waiver of subrogation."
- If serving alcohol, Liquor Liability must be specified
- Foremost, Outdoor Seating Permit holders are to create a quality dining environment with background music for seated diners only and be mindful of adjoining property owners.
- A separate area must be designated for performers, keeping a distance of a least 10 feet from customer areas.
- The use of barriers between singers and customers & employees during the performance is strongly encouraged.
- Performers should wear face coverings when possible and follow social distancing guidelines, keeping a minimum of 6’ from each other.
- Customers must remain at their tables and performers may not interact with customers.
- It is the responsibility of the Outdoor Seating Permit holder to prevent non-outdoor seating spectators from congregating around the permitted property.
- Electrical service must originate from the Outdoor Seating Permit holder’s property and not create a tripping hazard in walkways and public areas.
- Monday through Wednesday - non-amplified, acoustic live music will be permitted from 5PM until 9PM.
- Thursday - acoustic and amplified live music will be permitted from 5PM until 9PM.
- Friday - acoustic and amplified live music will be permitted from 5PM until 10PM.
- Saturday - acoustic and amplified music will be permitted from Noon until 10PM.
- Sunday - acoustic and amplified music will be permitted from Noon until 9PM.
- Music played through a blue tooth speaker for background music will be allowed during regular business hours as long as the sound remains within the permitted area.