Helpful Tips to Protect Your Vehicle and Your Home this Holiday Season
During the holiday season the Urbana Police Department tends to see an increase in vehicle burglaries. Here are a few tips to help protect your vehicle and your home if you plan to travel during this time of year:
- Lock your vehicle doors, especially overnight. Urbana recently had several vehicles burglarized in south east Urbana, in which all of the vehicles were unlocked.
- Do not leave wrapped presents in vehicles or other valuable items in plain sight.
- Contact a trusted neighbor and the Urbana Police Department if you are going to be gone for an extended period of time. The Urbana Police Department can put your home on their vacation watch and have officers regularly check your residence.
- Do not put on Facebook/Twitter or other social media that you are going to be gone for several days.
- Make it appear that someone is home, with lights on, and a car in driveway. Having Christmas Lights off for a couple of days makes it appear as if no one is home. Using timers is a great idea for both indoor and outdoor lights as well as Christmas lights.
- Ask someone to pick up your mail, newspapers, and set out your garbage on pick up day.
- Lock and secure all doors.
- One of the best things you can do that also is helpful for police is to have motion lights. When the lights are activated not only does it peak the curiosity of you, but also your neighbors and the Police.
If you have any questions, please contact Lieutenant Robert J. Fitzgerald, South District Patrol Commander for the Urbana Police Department, 217/384-2320 or email@example.com.