Shop Local Shop Urbana
You benefit from experience.
- At a local store, you are more than three times likely to find something new and interesting.
- You get the right thing and save time by relying on the expertise of local retailers.
You connect with the community.
- In places with more local businesses, people have stronger social ties, and participate more in civic affairs.
- Shopping locally means bumping into friends, enjoying lively streets, and trading neighborhood news with the people behind the counter.
- Local businesses make communities work.
You strengthen Urbana's economy.
- Local businesses hire local people.
- They pay local taxes.
- They source goods locally.
- Compared to shopping online, independent retailers create two times as many jobs for the same amount of revenue.*
You help keep the environment green.
- Even if you drive to the store, you still save shipping, handling and many, many traveled miles for your purchase's transport. That results in less greenhouse gases in the environment.
- Local and independent trades people are more likely to use repurposed materials by upwards of 60 percent over those hired by big-box companies. **
You cast a vote for the American Dream.
Starting a local business is a tried and true pathway to success for the middle class.
- By supporting local entrepreneurs, you invest in the future that works for all in Urbana.
- Communities with more small businesses have less income inequality. ***
*"Amazon's Stranglehold," Institute for Local Self-Reliance, Nov. 2016.
***"Wage Inequality and Firm Growth," Holger M. Mueller, et. al., LIS working Paper 632, March 2015.