Storm Sewer System
The City of Urbana’s storm sewer system includes 129 miles of pipe ranging in diameter from 6 inches to 120 inches, 7,773 manholes and inlets, and two regional stormwater detention basins.
The City’s Stormwater Management Program includes the following services and activities:
• Capital construction projects
• Storm sewer pipe, manhole & inlet repair or replacement
• Ditch grading & mowing
• Vine Street Viaduct Pump Station operation & maintenance
• Storm sewer pipe, manhole & inlet cleaning
• Boneyard Creek & Saline Branch inspection & maintenance
• Regional detention facility maintenance
• Hazardous sump pump discharge elimination program
• Respond to citizen drainage & property flooding concerns
• Compliance with State & Federal stormwater regulations
The City is required to comply with Phase II of the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Program that is administered by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA). The IEPA issues the City an NPDES Phase II Permit that applies to stormwater discharges from storm sewers and drainage ways within the City’s jurisdiction.
For additional information on the City's NPDES Phase II Permit click here.