The Patrol Division is the first responder to all requests for police service. This division provides the full-range of police services, crime prevention, traffic enforcement, accident investigation, criminal investigation, enforcement of local, state and federal criminal laws and the apprehension of criminal violators in Urbana. This is a twenty-four hour a day, seven day a week operation.
The Patrol Division is divided into two teams - the Blue and the Gold. Each team is managed by 2 Patrol Division Lieutenants, either 4 or 5 sergeants and has three shifts: Days (7:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.), Nights (7:00 P.M. to 7:00 A.M.) and Evenings (3:00 P.M. to 3:00 A.M.).
Major Activities of the Patrol Division:
- Respond to citizen calls for police service
- Investigate all offenses
- Apprehend criminal offenders
- Investigate accidents
- Enforce traffic laws and parking regulations
- Provide on-call conflict management and crisis intervention services
- Provide initial field training for probationary officers
- Provide annual training to all personnel assigned to patrol as required by state regulations
- Participate in the centralized dispatching system (METCAD)
- Implement community policing strategy through fixed beat assignment, foot patrols, bike patrol, special details, advisory committee, citizen survey and problem solving with citizens
- Animal Control services