Human Relations Commission (HRC)
Since 1975, the Urbana Human Relations Commission has worked to end unlawful discrimination within the City of Urbana, Illinois by enforcing the Urbana Human Rights Ordinance.
The Urbana Human Rights Ordinance seeks “…to secure an end, in the city, to unlawful discrimination, including, but not limited to, discrimination by reason of race, color, creed, class, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, physical and mental disability, personal appearance, sexual preference, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, prior arrest or conviction record or source of income, or any other discrimination based upon categorizing or classifying a person rather than evaluating a person's unique qualifications relevant to an opportunity in housing, employment, credit or access to public accommodations.” (Chapter 12 of the City Code)
- Commission Membership. The Commission is comprised of up to nine (9) members appointed by the mayor with the approval of the city council. Commissioners are chosen from among the residents of the city of Urbana representing various segments of the community. Commissioners serve without compensation for a term of three (3) years. Terms of office are staggered.
- Meeting Schedule. The Commission holds regular monthly meetings on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 5:30 p.m. in the Urbana City Council Chambers. Special meetings may be held as deemed necessary. Commission meetings are open to the public in accordance with the Illinois Open Meetings Act and public participation is welcome.
- Agendas and Minutes. To view prior meetings as well as their agendas and minutes, please visit Archive of Agendas and Minutes.
- Broadcast Meetings. If you prefer to view Commission meetings remotely, please note that meetings are broadcast by Urbana Public Television through Comcast Xfinity on channel 6 & 1096, i3 Broadband on channel 6, AT&T U-Verse on channel 99 and streamed on the web.
Explore the HRC
Visit the HRC's resource page to learn more about:
- Filing a Discrimination Complaint
- Scheduling an appointment to discuss unlawful discrimination
- The Human Relations Commission's work
- The Urbana Human Rights Ordinance
- Types of unlawful discrimination prohibited in Urbana
The Human Relations Commission is staffed and supported by the City of Urbana Human Relations Office.
To email all members and staff: HumanRelationsCommission@urbanaillinois.us
- 1 of 3
- next ›
- 1 of 38
- next ›