The Traffic Commission is a subcommittee of and reports to the Committee of the Whole. The Commission reviews requests from staff and the public relating to public safety on City-maintained streets, including traffic control, parking on City streets and in public parking areas, and various other matters relating to traffic. Recommendations made by the Traffic Commission that require changes to the Code of Ordinances must be approved by the Urbana City Council.
A few things to keep in mind:
- The City of Urbana does not install speed bumps on City streets.
- The City of Urbana does not install stop signs to control speed.
- Multi-way stop intersections will be considered:
- If there is a need to control vehicle/pedestrian conflicts near locations that generate high pedestrian volumes;
- If there is a location where a driver, after stopping, cannot see conflicting traffic and is not able to reasonably and safely negotiate the intersection unless conflicting cross traffic is also required to stop; or
- If in an area where the volume on two streets is equal, the placement of multi-way stop control would improve the operational traffic characteristics and safety of the intersection.
- The installation of a crosswalk on a street does not automatically protect pedestrians in the crosswalk. A marked crosswalk is used to direct pedestrians to where to cross rather than to provide a safety or protective device.
- Where there is no speed limit posted on a street, the City of Urbana adopted the speed limit regulations as defined in the Illinois Vehicle Code (625ILCS 5/11-601 (c)), which states, "Unless some other speed restriction is established . . ., the maximum speed limit in an urban district for all vehicles is 30 miles per hour; and 15 miles per hour in an alley."
NOTE: The Urbana Traffic Commission meets at 4:00 p.m. on the first Wednesday of each month at the Urbana Public Works Department, 706 South Glover Avenue, Urbana, IL 61802, unless otherwise noticed.
Agendas, minutes, and attachments for older meetings can be found in the archives: Archive of Agendas and Minutes
- 1 of 25
- next ›