Design Review Board
On August 20, 2018, the City Council approved an amendment to the Urbana Zoning Ordinance to combine the Design Review Board and the MOR Development Review Board. The newly combined board, called the Design Review Board, shall administer the design review procedures in the MOR, Mixed-Office Residential Zoning District, the Lincoln-Busey Overlay District and the East Urbana Design Review Overlay District in conformance with the requirements in Section XI-12 of the Urbana Zoning Ordinance.
The Board has the following objectives for reviewing site plan proposals in the MOR District:
- Encourage compatibility by minimizing impacts between proposed land uses and the surrounding area;
- Encourage the design of new construction to be compatible with the neighborhood's visual and aesthetic character through the use of the Mixed-Office Residential Design Guidelines; and
- Determine if proposed development plans meet the intent of the district as stated in Seciton IV-2.I.
The Board has the following objectives for reviewing applications in the Lincoln-Busey Corridor Overlay District and East Urbana Design Review Overlay District:
- Review the design of new construction to ensure compatibility with the neighborhood's visual and aesthetic character through the use of the adopted Lincoln-Busey Corridor Overlay District Design Guidelines and the East Urbana Design Review Overlay District Design Guidelines; and
- Determine if applications meet the intent of the district as stated in the adopted design guidelines.
The Board shall consist of seven regular members and two alternate members. Membership shall consist of the following individuals so that the Board can offer a diverse perspective and expertise in reviewing proposals:
- A member of the Plan Commission;
- A member of the Historic Preservation Commission;
- A licensed architect;
- A local developer;
- Three individuals, from any three of the following distinct categories:
- A resident living inside or within 250' of the MOR District
- A resident living inside or within 250' of the Lincoln-Busey Corridor Design Review Overlay District
- A resident living inside or within 250' of the East Urbana Design Review Overlay District
- An owner of a local business with fewer than 40 employees;
- Two alternate members from the distinct categories listed directly above. Alternate members may participate, vote, and contribute to establishing a quorum only in the absence of or due to the recusal of any regular member.
All meetings shall conform to the requirements of the Open Meetings Act. All meetings shall be held in a public place designated by the Chair, and be open to the public, except as allowed by law. Any interested person may appear at any open meeting and be heard either in person or by an authorized agent or attorney.
The Board meets annually in January, at 7:30 pm, on Thursday following second Monday.
MEETING SCHEDULE FOR 2024: Meeting information for 2024 is available on the City's new Meeting site: Agendas/Minutes | City of Urbana Illinois Meetings (municodemeetings.com). Agendas, Packets, Minutes and Cancellation Notices will be posted there as they occur.
To send an email to all members and staff: DesignReviewBoard@urbanaillinois.us
Applications for each district may be found on this page: Design/Site Plan Review
Previous Design Review Board: Archived agendas, minutes, and attachments for older meetings
Previous MOR Development Review Board: Archived agendas, minutes and attachments for older meetings
|Teri Andel - Planning Administrative Assistant||
|Kevin Garcia - Principal Planner & Zoning Administrator||
|Marcus Ricci - Planner II||
|Nicholas Olsen - Planner I|
- 1 of 2
- next ›