Sanitary Sewer System
The sanitary sewer system carries wastewater from homes and businesses to the Urbana-Champaign Sanitary District’s Northeast Wastewater Treatment Plant for treatment.
If you have a sanitary sewer back-up or flooded basement please click here.
The City of Urbana’s sanitary sewer system includes over 102 miles of pipe ranging in diameter from 6-inches to 15-inches and 2,315 manholes. The great majority of sanitary sewers in the City operate solely by gravity drainage flow, but there are wastewater pump stations located in lower elevation areas of the City which pump wastewater through special sanitary sewers called force mains. The Urbana-Champaign Sanitary District operates and maintains these pump stations.
The City’s existing sanitary sewer system program includes the following services and activities:
- Capital construction projects
- Sanitary sewer pipe and manhole repair, rehabilitation, or replacement
- Sanitary sewer pipe and manhole cleaning
- Illegal connection elimination program
- Responding to sanitary sewer overflows and basement back-ups
- Compliance with State and Federal storm water regulations
|2018 Sewer Activity Report||7.06 MB|
|2017 Sewer Activity Report||9.93 MB|
|CMOM Program||7.39 MB|
|Illegal Inflows and Connections||84.1 KB|